Questions about lifestyle changes for fertility
If you’re looking for information about lifestyle changes for fertility, you aren’t alone. Women ask our DFW fertility specialists every day what actions they can take to boost their natural fertility. Here are a few simple changes that may improve your fertility and help you conceive.
Lifestyle changes for fertility improvement
Our DFW fertility specialists provide world-class fertility care to help men and women become parents. To enhance the effectiveness of fertility treatments, you can make the following lifestyle changes for fertility.
- Maintaining a healthy weight is important when you’re trying to conceive. Researchers have found that women who are underweight or overweight are less likely to become pregnant than women of a normal weight. If you’re overweight, losing just 5% of your body weight can improve ovulatory function. If you’re underweight, gaining just five pounds can have the same effect.
- Exercising regularly can help you maintain a healthy weight before you conceive, and some research suggests that women who exercise in the years before they try to have a baby are less likely to experience ovulatory problems.
- Eating a balanced diet can also improve your fertility. Women of reproductive age should consume 400 to 800 mcg of folic acid each day. They should also avoid trans fats, which are associated with a higher risk of infertility.
- Avoiding cigarettes, alcohol and caffeine can boost your fertility. Researchers have found that smoking negatively affects both male and female fertility. Smoking can also cause health problems for a baby if the mother smokes during pregnancy. Studies have also discovered that alcohol and caffeine consumption can cause a decline in fertility.
- Having sex at the right time is critical for conception. If your cycle is between 24 and 30 days, you likely ovulate between Day 10 and Day 16 of your cycle. An egg is only receptive to fertilization by sperm for 12 to 24 hours, but sperm can survive for five days after sex. If you have sex on the day of ovulation, or even five days before, you’ll have a better chance of becoming pregnant.
Dallas IVF can help your dreams of parenthood come true
If you’re following all of this advice, but are still struggling to conceive, you might need help from our DFW fertility specialists. Our physicians have the experience and knowledge to diagnose and treat the cause of your infertility.
If you would like to learn more about fertility, please contact us for an appointment.